Tuesday, February 21, 2006


Have I ever told you how much I love reading E.B. White? There's great humanity in his writing. Through his writing, he has become the grandfather I wished I had. He is the type of man of letters that I dare to become. He writes adoringly and critically of the overwhelming city where anything is possible. He writes of the country and his animals, our animals, us. This man who wrote Charlotte's Web, who for years I thought was only a children's author, was a poet, an editor, a grammarian, a farmer, a husband, a father, a letter writer and part of the most significant literary partnership with his wife and noted editor of the New Yorker, Katherine. E.B. White, Andy as he was known to his friends is widely overlooked in academics and to a large degree in general literary discussions. Let this not be the case any longer.

Books I've purchased:
David Liss A Conspiracy of PaperBalzac A Harlot High and Low
The complete novels of Dashiell Hammett
E.B. White The Second Tree from the Corner
Jose Saramago The History of the Siege of Lisbon
(all bought used for a total of $7.72)

Books I've read:
E.B. White The Second Tree from the Corner

What I'm reading:
Saramago The History of the Siege of Lison
Ocshner People I've Wanted to Be

On deck:
Liss A Conspiracy of Paper
Julia Glass Three Junes

What I'm listening to:
Art Tatum On the Sunny Side of the Street

No comments: