Thursday, June 11, 2009

Bookish Wednesday


I stopped by the library after work yesterday and picked up a few books. I was hoping to get Matthew Pearl's The Last Dickens, but it was out on loan. Instead I picked up a few other highly anticipated reads. I got the new Maisie Dobbs, Among the Mad, Marianne Macdonald's Smokescreen and David Pirie's The Night Calls.

I've already started Smokescreen and I'll move on to Amond the Mad next. Macdonald has quickly become a favorite author of mine. Her Dido Hoare series is fantastic. I love reading about murder and intrigue anyway, but making the protagonist a rare bookseller makes this series a must.

I haven't read David Pirie before, but he's a must read for Sherlock Holmes pastiche. He writes a series subtitled: The Dark Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes, and chronicles Holmes's early career, beginning as a med student. I can't wait to get into this one sometime next week. I already collect Winspear and Macdonald and can envision beginning a Pirie collection before long.

Now reading:
Smokescreen by Marianne Macdonald

On deck:
Among the Mad by Jacqueline Winspear
The Night Calls by David Pirie

3 comments:

Iliana said...

I have a couple of the Marianne Macdonald books sitting on the shelf but just haven't gotten around to them yet. It sounds like a good series!

I hope you'll enjoy Among the Mad. I thought it was wonderful. Of course now I have to wait a while until the next Maisie book.

Mike B. said...

I'm on to Among the Mad next. I just can't keep Maisie waiting.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I heard Among the Mad was a good read; hope you enjoy it!